Defensive transition. Exercise of pressure after losing the ball
Dec. 29, 2017, 1:05 p.m.
When an team loses the possession of the ball, they can choose to temporize hoping that other teammates help on this zone, they can fall back to his soccer goal because they’ve been surprised by opponents, or they can realize an intense pressing in the zone and in the moment where they have lost the ball, with the aim to prevent that the rival progresses and to have the possession of the ball again.
In this post we’re going to focus on the work of immediate pressure when the team loses the ball. We think choosing this solution when we lose the ball is the better option, to stop the opponent from being able to progress and from being able to control the ball quickly, since we submit the opponent to a strong pressing.
In the moments of transitions between attack - defense, it is when an team is more exposed to being surprised by the opponent, because it is when they take advantage, while we have the ball possession and when it gets lost, to attack and to find spaces.
Therefore it is necessary to work deeply on this phase with our teams. To achieve that, we suggest what we consider are key facts to work the transition attack - defense:
- -First of all, we must take into account a series of variables: characteristics of the opponent, the moment of the match and what result we get, the zone of the field we lost the ball. Getting more information of the context will help us to decide and choose the best moments to realize this pressure quickly and advance after loss ball.
- -When the team has the possession of the ball, they must have players who are not oriented in the game, ready to be able to defend quickly, if there is a loss of ball. The defensive transition begins for a good organization attack that does not leave the unprotected team behind, looking for a collective balance.
- -The player who loses the ball is the first one reacting, looking to get the ball again.
- -The players near to the ball should help their teammates, looking for superiority in the zone where the ball has got lost. They will direct the rival to exterior zones of the field.
- -The most remote players will close spaces to the back of the players of the first pressure movement. Prepared to help if the opponent overcomes this first pressure. We must always have players in coverage, to close spaces before the possibility that the opponent advances.
- -Do not commit fouls, if you are not in danger of being overtaken. To commit a foul in a situation where the opponent has no way of exit and can lose the ball, is to give him advantage.